Saturday, November 20, 2010

Hermit Crabs Get a Shellacking (Odd Film)

If you haven't seen "Marcel the Shell with Shoes On", the brilliant short by director Dean Fleischer-Camp and comedian Jenny Slate, watch this video.





Hermit crabs have clearly been outdone by this shell creature in possession of a giant eye, endowed with the ability to talk and donning sneakers. My first thought is that Marcel would make an excellent pet, bumbling around your house muttering uplifting non-sequitors. On second thought, this might quickly grow old. 


I've had a few pet hermit crabs in my day. In college, I used to release my pet hermit crab in my dorm room to wander about the carpet and furniture. We would find him dumbstruck by a corner or creeping out from underneath a bed after a few hours (or in some cases, days). 


On one occasion, I managed to sneak a hermit crab on an airplane in the pocket of my sweater when flying from home back to school in Ohio - and this was post 9/11 travel so I consider it quite a feat. 


In one of my lower points in hermit crab pet ownership, my sister and I flattened a laptop screen, played electronic music, launched a screensaver of swirling colors and created a music video of the hermit crab dancing about the screen. Unfortunately, this footage was lost to a hard drive crash. 


Since, my hermit crabs have passed away and I've found more exciting ways to spend my time like, for example, hang gliding on a Dorito.



No comments:

Post a Comment